I love papaya, or as we call it here Paw-paw. We have about 10 papaya trees in our garden with a lot of fruit ready to be used.
I decided to try and make a nice fruity cake and boy o boy did it pay off. This cake make me feel like I’m sitting on some tropical island, even though I’m sitting at home drinking some tea and stuffing my face with cake:)
For the topping you can either make a syrup to pour over the top or sprinkle with a little powdered sugar, frosting just wont work with this cake, unless you’re a sugar fiend 🙂
If that didn’t make you want to try this cake, here are some health benefits of papaya 🙂
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PAPAYA
- Vitamins and nutrients: Papaya is high in vitamin C, vitamin B, Potassium and fiber. Due to the high amount of vitamins and nutrients that papayas contain, your immune system will be boosted if you frequently eat papaya.
- Digestive Process: If you have digestive problems, you may want to consider eating papayas. The reason is because they contain an enzyme called papain, which is known to help with the digestive process. It can prevent you from becoming constipated and may also help end diarrhea.
- Helps with Nausea: Papaya is known to prevent this type of nausea or provide you with relief once you already have it. To experience the best relief or prevention, consider drinking pineapple juice with your papaya, as both are known to be very effective.
- Lung Protections: The reason that papaya provides the body with lung protection is because it contains Vitamin A. When a person experiences lung cancer or other lung conditions, they often have a deficiency of Vitamin A.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PAPAYA SEEDS
- Antibacterial Properties: Research has found that papaya seeds are effective against E. coli, Salmonella, and Staph infections.
- Kidney Protection: Research has found that papaya seed extract may protect the kidneys from toxin-induced kidney failure.
- Eliminates Intestinal Parasites There is evidence that papaya seeds eradicate intestinal parasites.
- Liver Detoxifier
In Chinese medicine, it is believed that a teaspoon of papaya seeds will help detoxify the liver. Papaya seeds are often recommended by natural doctors in the treatment of cirrhosis of the liver.
Now that you know all about the papaya lets get to this cake:)
- 1 1/4 cups Flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 papaya, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, coconut flakes, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger.
In a medium bowl, whisk together water, oil, vanilla and vinegar. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Fold in the orange zest and papaya.
Pour the batter into a greased cake pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup sugar
In a small saucepan bring the orange juice to a boil and add the sugar whisk until the sugar is melted into the orange juice.
Pour the syrup over the cake ( prick the cake all over with a fork, this will help absorb the syrup). Let sit for 5 minutes and enjoy!