I’ve been in two minds lately about the sugar issue. Yes, sugar is bad for its got numerous negatives for you and makes you fat, but what if you consume it in moderation? All the recipes I have are really low in sugar, but yet I’m still worried about it. Going sweetener free is just ridiculous for me, if I don’t make any sweet treats the really bad packaged goods will find its way into the house (the boyfriends got a sweet tooth).
Here is a list of all the sugar and sweetener options out there:
I’ve grown up on cane sugar, I use to live right across the road from a sugar cane farm. Cane sugar is one of the most genetically modified foods on the market and already has a bad reputation for making kids hyperactive, but what is the truth about cane sugar?!
After reading this post with a whopping 141 reasons sugar sucks, it really starts scaring some sense into you.
Cane Sugar Positives :
- Its cheap
- It makes a mean facial scrub
- unrefined cane sugar does have some valuable nutrients and minerals ( IN MODERATION)
- It contains magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, potassium and iron. (unrefined)
- Gives you energy.
Cane Sugar Negatives:
- Its addictive
- Causes sudden increase in glucose levels
Sugar increases the risk of obese, diabetes and heart diseases
Sugar causes aging
- Can cause dental decay
This delicious topping for pancakes is ridiculously expensive here! I only get it when I want to splurge. Its not even worth it, the biggest size we get here is 500 ml.
Maple syrup positives:
- Its an antioxidant powerhouse
- It settles digestion
- It helps muscle recovery
- Its filled with nutrients
- A 1/4 cup serving of maple syrup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk and more potassium than a banana.
Maple Syrup Negatives:
- Its not easy to get if your not living in America or Canada
Well I couldn’t find any other negatives and that’s just my negatives!
This is slightly cheaper than Maple, but is still way to expensive and after reading that this was one of the worst things you can eat on facebook, i was more than upset!
Agave Nectar Positives:
- Low glycemic sweetener
- anti inflammatory benefits
- Immune boosting
- Aztecs used agave syrup to treat wounds because of its antibacterial properties.
- Helps aid in weight loss
Agave Nectar Negatives:
- Agave nectar has the highest fructose content of any commercial sweetener
- Inulin, also a complex carbohydrate, makes up about 50% of the carbohydrate content of agave.
- It is a highly processed
I can’t even continue 😦 you broke my hear agave!!
This little plant is 300X sweeter than sugar, so only a small amount is needed. This is found in most health stores.
A no carb no calorie Substitute
Aids in calcium formation
Lowers blood pressure
Lowers blood sugar
Has antibacterial properties
- Gastrointestinal upset
- Myalgia (muscle pain) and dizziness
- Mutagenic activity
- Interferes with blood pressure
Pretty scary stuff!
COCONUT PALM SUGAR
I haven’t tried this one yet, but I’m anxious to try it. Its got a brown sugar look to it. Derived from the flowers of the coconut tree, is an organic, sustainable natural sweetener.Coconut sugar is minimally processed, unbleached and contains no preservatives.
Coconut Sugar Postives:
- Low glycemic index
- High in vitamins and minerals
- Rich in amino acids
- Wonder sugar for diabetics
- The Food and Agricultural Organization has reported that coconut palm sweeteners are the single most sustainable sweetener in the world.
Coconut Sugar negatives:
- Slightly high in fructose
Guess we will have to wait and find out more about coconut sugar, negatives always appear when you start getting happy with a sweetener.
Its scary to read some of these negatives. I always worry about things like this, but that blows my mind is that people are still giving their kids candy with corn syrup or that’s loaded with sugar. I do believe everything in moderation is fine, but that doesn’t mean I want to poison my body with moderation.
What sweetener do you prefer? Do you avoid all sweeteners?