In a world where basil pesto is king everyone seems to forget about all the other options for pesto. Cilantro pesto, garlic scape pesto, spinach pesto, kale pesto and the list can just go on, but today it will all be about the humble parsley pesto. Used as a garnish for food people seem to forget that this little cutie makes a great addition to most food. Loaded with lots of health benefits this is a great pesto surprise.
This pesto is filled with all things good and healthy, but never stealing from the amazing pesto flavor. Loaded with parsley, kale and pumpkin seeds this is a sure way to enjoy some health benefits.
PARSLEY HEALTH BENEFITS
- Inflammation; Curbs swelling within joints. Helps lessen pain and swelling caused by arthritis.
- Nutrient content
- Detox; Parsley helps boost the productivity of one of the liver’s enzymes that detoxes the body.
- Immune system; Helps boost the immune system.
- Lowers your cancer risk; Eating parsley can decrease the danger of cancers like skin, breast and prostate.
KALE HEALTH BENEFITS
- High in Iron; Kale has more iron than beef. Iron is essential for good health like, transporting oxygen to various parts of the body, cell growth and a functioning liver.
- Powerful antioxidant; helps protect against various cancers.
- High in fibre; great for aiding digestion.
- Anti- inflammatory; 1 cup of kale is filled with 10% of RDA of omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune diseases.
- Lowers cholesterol.
PUMPKIN SEED HEALTH BENEFITS
- Zinc; pumpkin seeds are a source of zinc, which is important for cell growth, immunity, skin health and sleep.
- Insulin regulation; Studies suggest that pumpkin seeds may improve insulin regulation and help prevent diabetic complications.
- Heart and liver health;
- Anti-inflammatory; helps with arthritis.
- Restful sleep.
So now that you know a little more about the delicious treats in the pesto lets get to the recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup fresh parsley, packed well
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast ( optional, it still tastes good without it)
Put the pumpkin seeds, kale, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, nutritional yeast and salt in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then pulse again. Drizzle in the olive oil while the machine is running, just to incorporate the oil about 30 seconds.
Use immediately or cover and refrigerate. Serve on toasted bread, pasta, rice, pizza or potatoes