Growing your own vegetable garden is something anyone can do with the right tips and research. You can grow a vegetable garden with a small space or a large space. Its something you can grow in containers, gutters, raised beds or straight in the ground.
Here are some of my tips for beginners:
- Start with good soil : Raised beds are an effect way to grow vegetables. I did mine the affordable way by laying out bricks, digging up the soil that was in that area and mixing it with a good compost, you want good drainage for a successful garden.
- Affordable support for vegetables: When my tomato plants started growing I went and bought bamboo reeds, they are an affordable way of supporting vegetable plants and they are pleasing to the eye. You just stick it into the ground close to the tomato plant and gently tie the plant to the stick. For my runner beans, I planted them close to a wall, nailed four nails into the wall and hung up two strings so they can run up and I can place them where ever I want.
- Save your banana peels: an easy way to get nutrients in your soil, is to bury small strips of banana peels next to your vegetables. This really made my vegetables go from okay to wow!
- Save those coffee grounds! coffee grounds make a great fertilizer and also stops those pesky snails from destroying your garden. Add the grounds directly to your soil.
- Super Gro / Miracle Gro: This natural product is great for growth and will do wonders for your container garden. Super Gro is meant to improve the quality and quantity of water as required by these crops and plants for wonderful growth and production by adding the essential nutrients they require for that purpose.
- Start a hanging or gutter garden: If you’re lacking space, one of these gardens will work great for you.
- Keeping birds out of your garden: If you’re having a problem with birds in your garden, placing string around your vegetables will do wonders. Also hanging reflectors around will also help.
Those are just a few of my tips. I hope it will helps some beginners out there. Happy gardening.
P.S I’ve got some serious bed head hair going on. I woke up in the mood to harvest some vegetables.