I love refreshing iced teas and iced green tea is a firm favourite of mine. Iced green tea makes green tea feel less threatening, I know its good for me, but yet I still can’t drink it often, but when its iced I just can’t get enough.
This is a refreshing Summer drink that’s way better for you than normal store bought iced tea. I personally don’t sweeten it, because I like it as is, but feel free to add a little liquid sweetener to it, but before we get to the recipe lets look at the health benefits.
GREEN TEA BENEFITS
- Brain Function: Green tea contains l-theanine which increases the activity of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA, which has anti-anxiety effects. It also increases dopamine and the production of alpha waves in the brain.
- Cancer prevention: Green tea is an excellent source of powerful antioxidants, which reduces your risk of cancer.
- Dental health: Green tea lowers this risk of plaque build up.
- Helps aid with indigestion: Mint is calming and soothing herb that helps soothe an upset tummy. Mint improve the flow of bile through the stomach, which helps speed up and ease digestion.
- Dental health: Mint leaves are packed with anti inflammatory properties. It kills bacteria in the mouth preventing tooth decay, beats bad breath and keeps your mouth clean.
- Relieves colds: The strong smell of mint that helps relieve congestion.
- Detoxing: The diuretic effect of lemongrass makes it a great detox ingredient. It helps to cleanse the liver, kidneys and increases blood circulation. It helps carry out toxins in the body.
- Glowing skin: drinking lemon grass in tea will help with glowing skin. Getting rid of the toxins in your body is a sure way to get better skin.
- Anti-Inflammatory: With its anti-inflammatory benefits, lemongrass can help relieve pain in the joints.
ICED GREEN TEA WITH LEMONGRASS AND MINT
- 4 green tea bags
- 6 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 lemon stalk, chopped in big pieces
- Sweetener to taste (optional)
In a large pitcher place the bags green tea, mint and lemon stalk. Pour over the boiling water and let sit until completely cooled. Place in fridge and let cool. Remove tea bags if desired.
Serve with lots of ice and a garnish of mint.